I don’t normally post just to link other bloggers’ posts, but this one from Mark Driscoll was too good to pass up. Seems he might have just figured out why the mainline denominations are getting so liberal:
“But my favorite is their push to legalize marijuana. That point seems to clear everything up. Maybe the ex-hippies running the mainline denominations are not evil liberals but rather just a bunch of stoner-potheads? If so, it all now makes sense and I’m shocked that we have not yet had brownies for communion, hemp robes for pastors, and Jerry Garcia icons in worship.”
He goes on to list “10 easy steps to destroying a denomination”:
1) Have a low view of Scripture and, consequently, the deity of Jesus.
2) Deny that we were made male and female by God, equal but with distinct roles in the home and church.
3) Ordain liberal women in the name of tolerance and diversity.
4) Have those liberal women help to ordain gay men in the name of greater tolerance and diversity.
5) Accept the worship of other religions and their gods in the name of still greater tolerance and diversity.
6) Become so tolerant that you, in effect, become intolerant of people who love Jesus and read their Bible without scoffing and snickering.
7) End up with only a handful of people who are all the same kind of intolerant liberals in the name of tolerance and diversity.
8) Watch the Holy Spirit depart from your churches and take people who love Jesus with Him.
9) Fail to repent but become more committed than ever to your sinful agenda.
10) See Jesus pull rank, judge you, and send some of your pastors to hell to be tormented by Him forever because He will no longer tolerate your diversity.
You can read the entire article here.