The Pope has once again gone contrary to popular opinion and stated what he really believes.
Let’s take it as a given that I disagree with the Pope on this one. However, unlike some, I’m not offended by this announcement. Here’s a few reasons why:
1) Is this news to anyone? Is this radically different from what they’ve always said?
2) It’s the Pope. He’s Catholic. If you believe Catholic doctrine, don’t you pretty much HAVE to say this?
3) In this day of pluralism, I appreciate someone who will take an exclusivistic position about their beliefs.
4) It’s a reminder that there ARE differences between Catholics and Protestants.
5) It means Frank Beckwith got in just in time.
Ok. That last one was sarcastic and way out of line. But, I for one applaud the Pope for bringing some clarity to the ambiguity of ecumenical inclusiveness.
Dr. Al Mohler responds to this same story. I love it when a truly intelligent person proves it by agreeing with me!