Living with a perception of the expectations of others can often make us feel inferior. Well-meaning people may even frame their expectations in a spiritual context, “This is what GOD intends you to do/be/have.” When we don’t do/become/have that we feel like we’re second-class.
Some examples I’ve observed in recent weeks:
– Giving singles the impression that marriage is God’s plan for everyone. Therefore if they are not married they are less-than.
– Giving ladies the impression that motherhood is God’s plan for everyone. Therefore if they do not have children they are less-than.
– Giving young adults the impression that God’s will is easily and early determined. Therefore if they do not see a clear path for their life they are less-than.
– Giving those serving in ministry the impression that observable, physical “success” is an indication of God’s blessings. Therefore if they do not achieve they are less-than.
– Giving Christians the impression that God wants us all to be healthy and wealthy all the time. Therefore if they are poor or sick they are less-than.
Please hear me. If your current situation has you feeling less-than, you are NOT. Do not define yourself by your marital status, parenthood, career opportunities, accomplishments, or anyone’s (including your own) expectations because God certainly doesn’t. Define yourself by your heart for the Lord.
“Let not the wise man glory in his wisdom, neither let the mighty man glory in his might, let not the rich man glory in his riches: But let him that glories glory in this, that he understands and knows me.”
If you are following after God and faithful to His will you are just fine. What He has for you will not make you inferior.
The will of God will NEVER make you second-rate!