Sin is more than merely breaking “a little rule.” It’s not just an offense against God’s law, it is an offense against His person. Sin is a serious transgression against everything that God IS.
– It is an act of denial that says the good offered by disobedience is better and greater than the good intended by a good God for obedience.
– It is an act of doubt that denies God’s promises are true.
– It is an act of rebellion that says I will do what I want rather than what God wants.
– It is an act of disrespect to the holiness of God.
– It is an act of insult to the loving nature of God.
– It is an act of idolatry that puts me on the throne which belongs to God alone denying His supreme authority.
– And, it is an act of blasphemy that questions the goodness of His essential nature and declares God to be a liar.
And yet, He forgives. God help us to understand the “exceeding sinfulness of sin” so that we may more deeply appreciate the exceeding greatness of His grace.